British Llama Society Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head collars

Go down

Head collars Empty Head collars

Post  Sandbank Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:08 pm

I have four two year old llamas. All were head collar trained.One has never been to keen on the idea but since having been castrated ,now flatly refuses to have anything to do with the head collar .He will allow me to put the lead rope around his neck and groom him this way. Would it be acceptable to attach an easy clip on dog collar neckband to his neck ? thus enabling me to attach a lead rope .Has anyone tried this idea ?.

Sandbank

Back to top Go down

Head collars Empty Re: Head collars

Post  Brookfieldllamas Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi, personally I would stick to a loose lead rope around his neck as trying to lead with a neck collar could be a recipe for disaster, especially if he gets frightened or decides to run off or back to the other llamas.
All his strength is in his neck with his whole bodyweight behind him, which would be impossible to hold and could lead to accident or injury, if not to the holder then to the llama himself as he runs around the field with a rope attached to his neck.
Using a headcollar I can hold a llama (100-200kg) or a horse (500kg) but without a headcollar I cannot even hold my Great Dane Dog (65kg) without tying myself to a fence or tree!
Perhaps use a loose lead rope around his neck to slowly get him used to the headcollar again. At least if he spooks or gets scared he can move away and the rope will just fall to the ground.
Hope this helps,
Sarah
Brookfieldllamas
Brookfieldllamas

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-05-27

http://www.brookfieldfarms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum