British Llama Society Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weaning youngsters

Go down

Weaning youngsters Empty Weaning youngsters

Post  vicki Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 am

Does anyone have any tried and tested methods for weaning? Our young boys need to be taken out of the main herd as they are of an age where they are interested in the girls!! Although we have had cria born here before the weaning process has been simple because we have only had one at a time to cope with and the last youngster was really easy as we had to take his mum off on her holiday to llama land to meet her beau!! Drastic I know but it worked very well, no stress at all. I have read somewhere that it's good to let the mums and babies nose to nose through a fence, then again I have read that it's best to keep them as far apart as possible, where they cant hear, see or smell one another - conflicting theories!! So any help/advice would be gratefully received!

vicki

Back to top Go down

Weaning youngsters Empty Weaning

Post  REGISTRAR Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Vicki

We found that if the youngsters could see their Mums then they spent most of the day pacing up and down calling for them. If they cant see their Mums they just get on with it. We also had one occasion when Mum used to come up to the fence so that her cria could reach through and feed !

Regards
Vivienne

REGISTRAR
Admin

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum