British Llama Society Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picking up the rear feet

2 posters

Go down

Picking up the rear feet Empty Picking up the rear feet

Post  Terry Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 pm

I wonder if anyone can help. I had been having trouble picking up the rear feet of two of my geldings (full brothers) and "chickened out" by clipping the toenails whilst the foot was on the ground. I've now decided I'd have another go at lifting. There is apparently no problem with my handling the lower rear legs, on the ground anyway; they are desensitised. BUT as soon as I begin to lift, the llama puts his weight onto me. At times we've both collapsed in a heap! Could there possibly be a balance problem with these brothers..or is it me? They both seem perfectly able to lift a rear leg and scratch their necks with it so must, surely, be able to stand on three legs.
Any ideas about how I can progress?

Terry

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Picking up the rear feet Empty Re: Picking up the rear feet

Post  Caroline Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Terry, I think the answer is to get Oscar and Toby to lift their own back feet for you. You've already done that with both of them for a front leg ("shake hands"). If they lift a back foot for you, you have a) their cooperation and b) them in balance, both of which are necessary in order for them to stop leaning on you.

By the way, I'm convinced that the 'falling over' is just a result of them putting their back foot over the other side of their body, in order not to let you have it, much as we saw that time a couple of years ago. You could ask Tim to video the it and then you could see for yourself.

There's not much time before the AGM now, but perhaps you could bring a video of one or other of Toby or Oscar proudly presenting a back foot for inspection?
Caroline
Caroline
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Thank you, Caroline.

As you know from our ( non-Forum!) chats, I'm getting those back feet up now. I must say, I haven't thought of back foot lifting as one of my off-lead exercises. But, now I think of it, there is actually a world of difference between asking them to lift a rear leg ( which I would find pretty easy) and asking them to accept my handling the same ( which is another thing entirely).

Terry

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down