British Llama Society Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting tangles out of the fibre

3 posters

Go down

Getting tangles out of the fibre Empty Getting tangles out of the fibre

Post  Terry Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Oh help! Newbury is coming up and I do want to bring along a llama that looks half-decent this year. Trouble is, my interest is training not showing so I don't go in for a lot of grooming and the llamas don't seem to mind...and the knots build up!
So..can anyone tell me if they know of any substance like hair conditioner or fabric softener that might help me to get tangles out of the tail of my boy. The rest of the coat is tangle-free as I've shorn him, but he doesn't like me shearing his tail, though I can brush it. It's a mass of matted dreadlocks at present.
If all else fails I can desensitise the tail and shear..but I'd rather brush it out.

Any ideas?

Terry

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Getting tangles out of the fibre Empty Re: Getting tangles out of the fibre

Post  Caroline Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:42 pm

I've tried a 'leave-in' spray hair conditioner but decided it was unfair to inflict such a strong smell on them. I'd look for a fragrance-free one if I tried again. In your case, I'd go for 'surface brushing' i.e. just get the top layer smoothed out a bit and free of hay. :-)
Caroline
Caroline
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mlonghurst Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:31 pm

If you hose him down, apply a gentle shampoo and rub in well, rinse the llama off so that all the suds are off the coat. Pop into the tumble dried for 30 mins of a cool temperature. When he is done he will look like a big puffball Very Happy cyclops 

By the way, you will need a very very big tumble drier......and a very cooperative llama;) 

Rgds, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Getting tangles out of the fibre Empty Re Getting Tangles out of the Fibre

Post  Terry Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

You don't mention whether to shove him in feet or bum first, Mike.

Terry

Back to top Go down

Post  mlonghurst Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 pm

If they are well trained they should just pop themselves in on their own and pop out when they are all done and fluffy Laughing   If they refuse to go in, the best method is to get your other half to climb in and let them see how it is done first.  As soon as they get it right give them a handful of (by now) soggy treats cheers 

Rgds, Mike L

mlonghurst

Back to top Go down

Getting tangles out of the fibre Empty GETTING TANGLES OUT...

Post  Terry Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 pm

You don't tell me, Mike, if I should chuck any "easy-ironing" tablets into the drum.

Terry

Back to top Go down

Post  mlonghurst Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:43 am

One should always exercise caution here. If you intend to iron out any wrinkles from the fiber after washing, then yes, it is imperative that you add easy ironing tablets" to the wash. If however, you are looking to achieve a Suri (dreadlocks) look, then absolutely not and of course you do not need to iron. If your llama has naturally flat fiber but your desire is to achieve a Suri look, then may I suggest an investment in curling tongs. Wink bounce bounce bounce bounce 

Kind Regards, Mike L

mlonghurst

Back to top Go down

Getting tangles out of the fibre Empty Getting tangles out of llama fibre

Post  Terry Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 pm

You know, for all your tumble-drier advice Mike, I still suspect that pegging the little dears out on the washing line by their banana ears, in a strong wind, would work just as well.

Terry

Back to top Go down

Post  mlonghurst Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:41 am

Err..yep...did'nt think of that one. Just goes to show that sometimes it pays to think outside the box Laughing 

Now, when is that last baby we are still waiting for going to show its head Rolling Eyes 

Kind Regards, Mike L

mlonghurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down