British Llama Society Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Field shelters

3 posters

Go down

Field shelters Empty Field shelters

Post  JML Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 pm

We are shorlty going to be buying our first Llamas. After months of regrading land, fencing etc I need to set about building a field shelter.

I have cast a concrete slab 4m x 3m (I hope that will be big enough!). We are looking at two Llamas, does anyone have any plans, photos of a good shelter or dimensions please? I am also assuming it will be a three sided structure with an option to "gate off" the front when needed?

Any help would be appreciated

John Lawrence
Alternatively you could email me at john.lawrence@soils.co.uk

JML

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Back to top Go down

Field shelters Empty Shelters

Post  REGISTRAR Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi John

Sounds about right to me. With a catch pen in front or within it would be ideal. Ours very seldom use the shelters. They will go and stand at the side to avoid driving rain but thats about it !!

REGISTRAR
Admin

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Field shelters Empty Have you any photos you could email to get an idea of how to constuct one please?

Post  JML Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:25 pm

REGISTRAR wrote:Hi John

Sounds about right to me. With a catch pen in front or within it would be ideal. Ours very seldom use the shelters. They will go and stand at the side to avoid driving rain but thats about it !!

JML

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Back to top Go down

Field shelters Empty Re: Field shelters

Post  mlonghurst Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:51 pm

As opposed to 3 sided, I would personaly go for a 3 1/2 sided field shelter with a 2m gate at the opening on one side of the front as this will provide a completely sheltered corder inside. 4m x 3m is more than enough room for 2 llamas and I would consider that height wise you should look at 7' minimum.

If you place a hay rack on the inside against a rear or side wall then this will ensure that the hay stays dry during rainy/snowy periods and does not get blown away during high winds.

That size would also allow you to install a small 6x4 catch pen inside (using one corner) which can be used for close handling or administering medication etc. If you used small gates or sheep hurdles these could be removed from the wall mounts when not in use or simply fold to the sides and be secured out of the way.

Well worth checking which way the wind blows during winter and making sure that the entrance to the shelter does not allow rain or snow to blow inside the shelter (sounds obvious but I have seen some field shelters full of snow Rolling Eyes )

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Field shelters Empty Re: Field shelters

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down