British Llama Society Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picking up feet (llamas')

2 posters

Go down

Picking up feet (llamas') Empty Picking up feet (llamas')

Post  Maggie Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Can somebody tell me: if I hold up my llama's foot and he has trouble balancing, do I lean into the llama or allow the llama to lean into me?

Maggie

Back to top Go down

Picking up feet (llamas') Empty Picking up Feet

Post  Robert Dewar Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:42 pm

If you spend a little time teaching your llama to give his foot, he will probably quickly get to the point where he knows what you want and he'll first adjust his balance onto three legs so you can lift the foot you want. We found it takes very few sessions getting the llama to understand, though with some it is harder than with others. In the end that llama should neither lean on you, nor you on him.

Robert Dewar

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Picking up feet (llamas') Empty feet

Post  Guest Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:01 pm

I've taken Robert's advice and one of mine will now lift his front feet if I touch his knee. He does it so easily, with no balance problems.

My other llama is a little slower on the uptake and we get rigidly placed front feet or else a leg that I can lift but that seems to have no knee joint! Caroline Champion

Back to top Go down

Picking up feet (llamas') Empty Re: Picking up feet (llamas')

Post  Caroline Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:12 pm

Even better. The llama that won't lift his feet for me (yet), will now let me lift them (front ones) and clearly knows that I am about to do it because he shifts his balance first to spread his front legs a little. It's so exciting when things click with them.
Caroline
Caroline
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Picking up feet (llamas') Empty Re: Picking up feet (llamas')

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down